“Disclaimer; This website is not endorsed by, nor does it represent the opinion or position of The American Legion, Department of Maryland on any matter, event or subject. This site is an informational site only supporting statewide rides and events”.
The American Legion Legacy Run to Reno, August 12-17, 2017
March 7, 2017 UPDATE
Attention Legion Riders!
Spring is just around the corner, and that means we are planning and anticipating another great Legacy Run in 2017 – this year, the long run to Reno, NV!
Registration forms and details will be posted soon, as we finalize hotel and other arrangements, but we wanted to give you a heads-up on some important changes for this year’s Run that we hope will make your Legacy Run experience even better:
- The official departure point for the 2017 Legacy Run is Fort Dodge, Kansas. Our rally point will be the Kansas Soldiers Home of Fort Dodge, Kansas. This departure point allows us to make each day’s ride reasonable in terms of saddle time and end-of-day lodging.
- We will be kickstands up on August 12th for a six (6) day ride ending in Reno on August 17th.
- The registration fee this year will include a fee for lunches each day, since the length and logistics of the route to Reno mean that we cannot depend on the availability of Legion Posts or other locations to provide us with a donated midday meal.
- We are also including a lump-sum amount for gas stops during the riding day in the registration fee this year. We have carefully calculated an average based on type of bike, rider/passenger combination, mileage, overall tank capacity and expected cost of gas over our route. Note that the formulas are different for 2-wheel and 3-wheel bikes and also take into consideration whether you have a passenger and/or trailer. This will eliminate your need to carry cash and will speed up our gas stops. In the event we have a small surplus in the amount collected, it will go into the Legacy Fund, and should we undercharge in our calculations, the balance will be made up from the administrative expenses of the Ride. Note that end of day fill-ups will be on your own each day and you must start each day with a full tank.
- We are finalizing hotel arrangements and rates at each day’s stop and these will be provided shortly after the registration form is released.
- You will note that this year’s registration form asks for a bit more information than we have in previous years. We are building a database that will assist in flight assignments, and in our ability to identify volunteers with the skills and equipment capabilities needed on our rides.
- This year’s Ride will be long and in hot weather conditions – there is no other way to get to Reno in August! Please plan to prepare yourself and your motorcycle thoroughly for this trip. We will have plenty of support vehicles on the Ride, but there are some stretches where repair facilities and dealerships are few and far between. You may want to carry some extra basic maintenance items on this trip, and of course, self-care items such as protective clothing, sunscreen and a full supply of any medications you need. We will plan for hydration at lunch and gas stops, but you should also plan to pay close attention to your needs in this regard.
- Look for full registration details soon. Questions? Please do not hesitate to contact me.
Let’s get ready to Ride to Reno for the kids!
Bob Sussan, Chairman
National American Legion Riders
email@example.com | 703-328-7691